An accidental discovery, much like penicillin, only delicious! (Last time I made this, I got two wedding proposals…)
- 100g (non-dairy) dark chocolate (there is one in Tesco, 125g for 99p (5 little bars))
- 100g soya/sunflower margarine (Pure or Vitalite)
- 300g icing sugar
- 10 g cocoa powder
- 3 dsp soya cream
- vanilla extract/essense (optional)
- 500ml rice milk (from Asda, Holland & Barrett, Unicorn or other places)
- 100g frozen raspberries
- plenty of time — start this early in the morning the day before you want to eat it
- Melt the chocolate and marg in the usual way.
- In a large bowl, stir in the vanilla, and gradually add the sugar and cream a bit at a time until it stiffens. Then add the rice milk. (Expect it to get sloppy, this is okay.)
- Pour into a tight closing plastic box, and put in the freezer.
- At hourly intervals, remove from the freezer and stir up. Do this for about 8 hours, or as long as you can.
- After the last stir, break up the frozen raspberries into a bowl with a fork or your fingers. Get a new plastic box (an old ice cream tub is great), and pour alternate layers of chocolate mix and raspberries into it, starting and finishing with chocolate.
- Return this mix to the freezer to freeze overnight.
- Enjoy the next evening, and await wedding proposals!
This was an accidental discovery one day when I was making ordinary choc fudge but didn’t have enough sugar (it needs 400g) and therefore wouldn’t stiffen. So I thought I’d add milk and freeze it… and what a result!