Made together with my dear friend Jan, black bean tacos with an avocado and lemon salad. Serves 5-6.
- large bag black beans
- a few bay leaves
- sunflower oil
- red and white onions, chopped
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 3 cloves garlic
- fresh thyme
- fresh coriander
- other mixed herbs
- salt and pepper
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tomato
- juice of half a lemon
- soya yogurt
- pre-made taco shells (2 per person)
- Soak the beans overnight with the bay leaves.
- In a large pan, heat the oil and cook the onions softly, then add the tomatoes, garlic, seasoning and herbs and simmer while mixing well.
- Add the soaked beans (without the bay leaves) to the large pan, and cook for at least half an hour, to let the flavours spread.
- Meanwhile, slice the avocados and arrange in a bowl. Cover with lemon juice to keep them fresh, and arrange slices of tomato over the top, then chopped watercress and a little parsley to garnish. (Coriander might be better.) Cover this until ready to serve.
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or medium, and warm the taco shells for 5 minutes (or follow the instructions on the packet). Serve the beans, avocado and yogurt ready to layer in the taco shells, perhaps in that order. Grated Cheezly over the top would be an optional extra.