Spinach, basil and sun-dried tomato tart, made on cornmeal pastry as in my last pepper and bean flan recipe. Served with roast potatoes, beetroot, onions and red pepper and covered in gravy. This “guest spot” is by Andrew and was presented as the main course before the chocolate log / swiss roll.
Ingredients — base
- 3 oz / 75 g cornmeal
- 3oz / 75 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 oz / 50 g vegan margarine (Vitalite in my case)
- a little cold water
Ingredients — filling
- 1 pot Tofutti cream “cheese” (available from Holland & Barratt)
- Most of a block of basil tofu (from Unicorn or health food shops), crushed into tiny bits with a fork
- 4-6 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- handful of fresh spinach, chopped into strips
- large spoon of soya yogurt
- 2 medium white onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and fried with a little oil with the onions
- ½ tsp bouillon powder
- sprinkle of pine nuts to garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C / 350 °F / Gas Mark 4.
- Sieve the cornmeal, flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl and rub in the marg.
- Add a little water, just enough to bind the mixture, then knead the dough on a floured board.
- Roll out and place in a greased 8 inch / 20 cm diameter deep tin, the kind with a removable base if possible (I only had a silicone one but it worked). Prick the base with a fork all over, the blind bake (with grease-proof paper/foil and dry raw beans/lentils/rice) for 10 minutes.
- Use a large pan to heat the oil then fry the onions and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the tofu, spinach, tomatoes, cream “cheese”, soya yogurt and bouillon powder; simmer for 5-10 minutes and stir frequently.
- Spoon the mixture into the pastry base and bake for a further 25 minutes.
- Carefully remove the flan from the tin and sprinkle on the pine nuts. Serve with the roast vegetables as described or similar.