A new version of my previous moussaka recipe, served with roast parsnips and cucumber mint salad.
Ingredients — body
- olive oil
- 1 large white onion
- 1 large red onions
- a cup of red lentils
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp chipottle chilli powder
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 large aubergine
- half a pack of Cheezly (non-dairy cheese)
- black pepper
- a little plain flour for dusting
Ingredients — topping
- sunflower oil
- plain flour
- rice milk or nut milk or water
- bouillon powder
- half a pack of Cheezly (the other half of the pack!)
Ingredients — cucumber mint salad
- 1 diced cucumber
- handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- squirt of lemon juice
- black pepper
- Place the sliced, washed aubergines in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 minutes. This draws out any bitter juices.
- In the meantime, cook the lentils for 10 minutes on their own in a pan. Heat some of the oil in a large casserole dish. Add the onion and cook gently until the onion is soft. Add the garlic, chilli, chopped tomatos, lentils and thyme into the casserole. Simmer while doing the next steps.
- Make the white sauce. Melt some oil in a pan and stir in the flour. Mix it until it forms a paste — if it is too running for a paste, add more flour; too solid, add more oil. Take off the heat and gradually stir in the milk or water. Return to the heat and stir continuously until the sauce thickens (whisk if necessary). Simmer over a gentle heat for 5-8 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in half of the “cheese”, and season with pepper.
- Rinse the aubergines and pat dry. Dust the slices with flour and fry in batches in the remaining oil until golden on both sides, about 8-10 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper. Set aside until ready to construct the moussaka.
- Cover the base of an ovenproof dish (about 30x20cm) with a third of the casserole mix then cover with half the aubergine slices. Repeat the layers ending in the casserole, then pour over the topping. Sprinkle on the remaining topping. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C / Gas mark 4 for 30-40 minutes, until bubbling and golden (at the same time as the parsnips). Allow the moussaka to settle for 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
- The salad was made from diced cucumbers and freshly chopped mint in a mix of olive oil, cider vinegar, lemon juice and black pepper.
- This dish can be chilled before the point of putting in the oven, to be prepared before cooking. Allow an extra 15 minutes in the oven if cooking from cold.