This open sandwich meal is quite simple to do. It features grilled slices of polenta as the base, followed by a layer of salsa then steamed peppers and onion, garnished with fresh rocket.
- One block of solid polenta
- One medium red onion, sliced
- One red and one orange pepper, sliced
- Handful of rocket, washed
- For the salsa/bruscetta:
- 3 salad or vine tomatoes, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ~ 1 tbsp each of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and tomato purée, mixed together
- handful fresh basil, chopped
- squirt lemon juice
- black pepper
- Steam the sliced onion and peppers for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the salsa by dicing tomatoes, mixing the liquids with a fork and combining all the other salsa ingredients together.
- Slice the polenta like small pieces of bread and grill for 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve the layers in the order polenta, salsa, steamed veg, rocket from the bottom up. Add a little hummus on the side.
Added 7 May 2011: Made it again, this time with a different salad and grated “cheese” on top.