This recipe is directly out of the wonderful book “Vegan with a Vengeance” by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, although she calls it a “coffee cake”, as it is to be served with coffee. There is no coffee in either version!
Ingredients — topping
- 4 tblsp plain flour
- 3 tblsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tblsp rapeseed oil / sunflower oil
- 115g / 4oz chopped walnuts
Ingredients — cake
- 450g / 1lb plain flour
- 1 tblsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tsp ground allspice
- 3 tblsp rapeseed oil / sunflower oil
- 175g / 6oz (vanilla) soya yogurt
- 250ml/8fl oz pure maple syrup (I used maple flavour golden syrup)
- 250ml/8fl oz plain rice milk (or vanilla if plain soya yogurt)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225g/8 oz fresh blueberries *
* If using frozen blueberries, keep in the freezer until the last moment, to avoid turning the batter purple.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Lightly grease or spray a 23 x 33cm/9 x 13in baking tin, or line with baking parchment.
- Make the topping: Sift together the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Drizzle in the oil a little at a time and mix with your fingertips until crumbs form. Add the walnuts and mix.
- Make the cake: Sift together the dry ingredients into a large bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients until well combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Fold in the blueberries.
- Spread the batter in the prepared tin and sprinkle the topping over it. Bake for 45 minutes or until a cocktail stick or knife comes out clean. Tastes great still warm.