More of Lou’s pancakes, this time for dessert. The recipe is taken from the book Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chanda Moskowitz. Don’t worry if it doesn’t come out right first time, there is an art to making pancakes so keep trying. Always have the pan hot and clean.
- 150g 5oz plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil plus oil for the pan
- 5 tbsp water
- 300ml / ½ pint plain rice or soya milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup or similar
- Oil a large frying pan and preheat over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine all the other ingredients. Adding wet ingredients to dry, mix until just combined. Do not overmix or the pancakes will be tough; a couple of lumps are okay.
- Cook pancakes until browned on the bottom and bubbles form on the top, for about 4 minutes. Turn the pancakes over and cook until the bottoms are browned and the pancakes are barely firm to touch. Transfer to individual plates. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil to the pan as needed.
Our version here has fresh raspberries in the batter and chocolate spread on top, with some oat cream decorating the top.