Similar to the last fairy cakes, these were made to be sold at a charity bake sale hosted by Manchester Vegan Society. This time, there is indeed sugar involved, and a blast of raspberries in the middle.
Ingredients — cake
- 7 oz self raising flour
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- 4 oz caster sugar
- 8 fl oz (225 ml) cold water
- 3 fl oz (85 ml) sunflower oil
- 20 g cocoa powder
Ingredients — middle
- 90 g chocolate (Bournville, which is currently made without dairy)
- 6-8 tbsp soya cream
- handful raspberries (frozen or fresh)
Ingredients — “buttercream” icing
- 3 oz (115g) vegan margarine
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 6 oz (170g) sieved icing sugar
- 2 oz (55g) sieved cocoa powder
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and cocoa powder in a large bowl. Mix in the water and oil well.
- Spoon into about 12 silicone cake cases or similar . Bake at 175 °C for 15-20 minutes or until a cocktail stick inserted into the middle of a cake comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- When cool, cut out a little cone in the top of each cake and keep the cut out bits next to each cake. Carefully melt the chocolate then stir in the soya/oat cream and broken up raspberries.
- Spoon the chocolate cream into each of the cakes then replace the tops.
- Make the chocolate buttercream by mashing the ingredients together in a bowl with a fork. Use a piping bag to decorate each cake. You can finish them off with decorations such as edible glitter.