Don’t like aubergine but got one anyway? Spicy-batter it and fry it then! Served here with roast potatoes and mixed leaves (spinach, rocket and watercress), and yummy garlic-marinaded beetroot.
Batter ingredients — amounts are imprecise
- Lots of gram flour (chickpea flour)
- Lots of engevita flakes
- some bouillon powder
- a little herb salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Slice the aubergine thinly and sprinkle salt over; this will draw out some of the bitterness. Leave for 30 minutes (but you can make the batter now).
- Mix together all the batter ingredients, then set aside for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the salt off the aubergine, then dip into the batter so it is thoroughly covered.
- Fry in a small amount of sunflower oil until both sides are golden brown, then serve.