Summer is almost here, time to get the cold drinks out! Using the recipe from ‘Color Me Vegan‘ by Coleen Patrick-Goudreau, I substituted granulated sugar for fruit sugar, for the usual benefits of avoiding refined sugar.
- 7 ice cubes
- 1 cup (235 ml) fresh lemon juice (about 6 medium lemons)
- 5 cups (1175 ml) cold water
- 120 g fruit sugar, (instead of 200 g granulated sugar) – adjust to your sweetness preference
- 6 – 8 whole strawberries, stems removed, plus more for garnish
- Dissolve the fruit sugar in the water on a low heat on the hob; this stops it being too crystaline, which can happen with fruit sugar. Allow the water to chill again before continuing. (You can skip this step if using granulated sugar.)
- In a blender, whiz the ice up a little, then add the lemon juice, water and sugar. Blend and taste – you may wish to add more sugar, lemon or water to suit your taste.
- Next, add the strawberries, and blend to the texture you prefer.
- Serve in a pitcher or glasses. Makes about 1.5 litres.