Okay, so I’m calling this a BLT, but tomato is the only one of those really in it. This is a low saturated fat alternative using soy sauce fried tofu instead of the B. I didn’t have any lettuce even though I like it, so I used spinach from the greenhouse and some freshly picked wild watercress to cover the L. Anyway, it’s a good thing I made two each for everyone as there were happy faces and tapping feet all round!
- 2 fluffy white buns/rolls/baps/etc. per person (I’m not getting into bread name politics!)
- 2 thick slices of medium firm bean curd/tofu per person (about 133 g per person)
- small red onion, diced
- crushed garlic, from a jar or fresh
- 1 tomato per person, sliced
- spinach and watercress, washed and roughly chopped, (or lettuce)
- soy sauce
- olive oil
- garlic egg-free mayo
- Vitalite or other non-dairy marg, for spreading on the bread
- Prepare the bread and slice the tomatoes.
- In a large pan, warm some oil and lightly fry the onions. Once the onions begin to cook, add the slices of tofu with some garlic and soy sauce. Gently fry both sides of the tofu for about 10-15 minutes, taking care not to burn the onions. Meanwhile, add some mayo to the bread and wash and chop the greens.
- Make up the BLTs on the bread, in the order Vitalite, mayo, tofu, tomato, spinach and watercress, more mayo. Serve immediately.