What to bring to a pot luck… something tasty, easy to prepare and easy to have that second (third?) helping. Enter this baked nacho dish!
- 1 large bag regular corn tortilla crisps
- 1 jar cool salsa (the kind that you could just dip “chips” in, to use the lingo)
- 1 small can refried beans
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- handful cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp sliced jalapeño peppers, chopped
- handful fresh coriander, chopped finely
- some antepasti roast peppers, chopped finely
- 1 tsp “lazy” garlic
- ½ packet of white Cheezly, grated
- Preheat the oven to 150 °C and get out a medium sized oven dish.
- Chop the onion, tomatoes, peppers and coriander and stir in a large bowl with the salsa to pad it out.
- Add layers to the dish as follows: tortillas, salsa, tortillas, refried beans, tortillas, salsa, tortillas, Cheezly.
- Bake for 30 minutes, allow to stand for 2-5 minutes before serving.
Regarding the Cheezly, if you have never had vegan substitute for cheese, I would recommend just using a little of this at first until you get used to it; it tastes better cooked than cold too. I am used to it now, and I prefer Vegusto, but that is quite pricey and harder to get hold of. Pre-grated Tofutti ‘cheese’ is good too. If you want to have a non-vegan version of this recipe, there is nothing to stop you de-veganising it yourself, if you can get your head around doing it in that direction!