I’d read about making a ‘cheating’ vegan chocolate fudge cake online and decided to have a go myself. It was incredibly easy, essentially it’s just a box of ready-made cake mix which gives instructions to just add water, oil and an egg… yet you can replace the liquid ingredients with a can of cherry cola to make it vegan! I used a carton of chocolate icing/frosting too, which is also incidentally(?) vegan, and that saved even more time.
- 1 box of Betty Crocker “Devil’s Food Cake Mix”
- 1 can (330 ml) of cherry cola (or other flavour)
- 1 carton of Betty Crocker “Tempting Chocolate Icing”
- 1 can black cherries in light syrup
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan oven) and line and grease two baking tins.
- In a large bowl, sift the dry cake mix, then slowly stir in the cola. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Pour equal amounts of cake mix into the two baking tins, and bake for 23-25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from the tins, then cool completely on wire racks.
- Decorate with the chocolate icing between the sponge layers and on top. Use a layer of cherries in the middle and a few more on top.