Made up on the spot, I am really pleased with this gnocchi dish, created for a pot luck dinner with two gluten-free guests. It went down so quickly, I barely got to eat any myself!
Maybe next time I will learn to make the gnocchi from scratch, but the packet kind is really good already. I could save money by replacing the asparagus with a more affordable vegetable like courgette.
- 1 packet gnocchi (gluten-free)
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Water and sunflower oil
- For the sauce:
- Optional garnish: handful of pine nuts
- Fry the onion and garlic, and at the same time boil the gnocchi as the packet instructs (about 4 minutes). Drain the gnocchi.
- Boil the asparagus bunch for 5 minutes, while the onions brown. (I used the gnocchi water to save waste.) Drain the asparagus and cut into pieces about 1cm long.
- To make the sauce, gently warm the oil and slowly stir in the flour with a wooden spoon, stirring constantly until it forms a paste.
- Slowly add the almond milk, constantly stirring, until you get a (lumpy) sauce. (Add more milk if needed.) Stir in the mustard, stock cube, herb salt and Sheese and mix well. It doesn’t matter if the sauce is a bit lumpy, as the grated Sheese will hide it.
- Finally, mix all the ingredients together and serve. A few pine nuts to garnish would be a treat, and a little black pepper ground on top.